Wegmans Awards Record Number of Employee Scholarships
05/10/2021 · Newsroom Highlight
Our 2021 scholarship recipients include Briana Gonzalez, Maya Royster, and Sydney Lempert.
In 1984, we awarded our first employee scholarships for tuition assistance. Since that first year, scholarship recipients have been encouraged to study any field that piques their interest, at any accredited college, and are not required to continue their employment with Wegmans after graduation. This year, a record number of 2,502 new recipients will receive employee scholarships, totaling approximately $5.6 million in tuition assistance for the upcoming academic year.
Our 2021 class of scholars includes first generation college students, parents, and 138 Wegmans Work Scholarship Program participants. They work as cashiers, pharmacy technicians, and in our distribution centers, while also taking classes and balancing busy lives. One thing they all have in common is a desire to learn and grow.
“This program shows me just how much Wegmans cares about their employees and how much they want to see them succeed,” said Sydney Lempert, a sophomore psychology major at Temple University who works at our King of Prussia, Pennsylvania store. “I am excited for the scholarship and looking forward to what it’ll do for me in the future.”
Maya Royster has been an employee at our Virginia Beach store since 2019. A sociology major at Old Dominion University, she seized the opportunity to apply for the scholarship once she met the eligibility requirements.
“I find it motivating and empowering that my place of work encourages the betterment of both myself and my education,” said Maya. “I am extremely grateful for the numerous opportunities Wegmans gives me.”
Kai Fujimoto, a cashier at our Dulles, Virginia store, plans to use the scholarship funds for tuition and books. Currently studying Hospitality Management at James Madison University, Kai has been on the front line at our store since the beginning of the pandemic.
“I worked a lot when schools closed at the peak of COVID,” said Kai. “I really appreciate having my hard work recognized in this way. It shows that hard work pays off.”
Business administration and accounting major Briana Gonzalez struggled with choosing a field of study during her first few years of college. Currently in her junior year at Rider University, Briana decided to apply for the scholarship while working part-time at our Mt. Laurel, New Jersey, store to help off-set the costs of additional classes.
“Finding the right career path and major for me has been difficult. I have changed my major a handful of times so far,” said Briana. “This scholarship will take off some financial stress and allow me to take additional courses of my interest that I was not able to take before. I am truly thankful to receive the Wegmans scholarship.”
Wegmans Scholarship by the Numbers
- Since the program began, more than 42,500 Wegmans employees have been awarded scholarships totaling over $130 million.
- Most common colleges: 432 students will attend State University of New York (SUNY) schools; 83 are going to Pennsylvania State University; 76 will study at Monroe Community College
- Recipients by division: 501 in Buffalo; 100 in Maryland; 98 in New England; 235 in New Jersey; 383 in Pennsylvania; 637 in Rochester and the Southern Tier; 207 in Syracuse; 314 in Virginia and North Carolina; 27 in our corporate offices & distribution centers
- Popular areas of study: 388 majoring in health care & medical sciences or wellness; 280 studying business; 178 pursuing engineering; 163 focusing on education
- Part-time employee scholarship recipients are eligible to receive up to $1,500 per year for four years (a maximum of $6,000), and full-time employees can receive up to $2,200 per year for four years (up to $8,800 total).
In addition to this year’s employee scholarships, five graduating seniors from the Wake Forest, North Carolina area received $750 scholarship grants from the new Wake Forest store in a symbolic nod to our annual Employee Scholarship Program. In anticipation of the grand opening on May 19, the store partnered with five area high schools to select students who exemplify our values to receive the scholarships.
A complete list of this year’s scholarship recipients is available on our website.