The Power of a Nickel
11/19/2020 · Newsroom Highlight
As our food bank and United Way partners have been working hard to meet the increased demand for their services during the pandemic, the additional funds we’ve donated from our 5-cent paper bag charge (select markets), have proven vital. To date, more than $750,000 has been collected from that bag charge. Here are just a few ways our community partners are putting those nickels to work:
- Providing senior citizens free rides to the grocery store and medical appointments, enabling them to live independently in their own homes.
- Delivering 800 meal kits over the course of 16 weeks, along with full recipes and videos, to students in low-income neighborhoods.
- Providing books to more than 4,000 children under age five.
- Supplying 16,200 backpacks of food for school-age children.
- Distributing 10,000+ food boxes to those in need.
- Supporting more parents and children with an additional 90 days of shelter, meals, and care coordinators to help them find longer-term sources of income and stable housing.
We believe communities thrive when we all work together.