Shared Family Meals Bring Health and Happiness
10/01/2020 · Newsroom Highlight
It’s as simple as this: enjoying meals with loved ones supports your physical and emotional health. There’s a ton of research that backs up these incredible benefits of shared family meals:
For the kids
- Higher grades and self-esteem
- Healthier eating habits and weights
- Less risky behavior
- Increased likelihood of sharing, fairness, and respect as adults
For the family
- More connected
- Better communication
- Improved relationships
- Healthier dynamics
For every person at the table
- Greater intake of fruits & veggies
- Decreased likelihood of obesity
- A sense of wellbeing
Family Dinner Tables Change Over Time
The way families gather around food changes from year to year, and 2020 is no different. We know this year has changed the way we prepare and enjoy meals. Some folks have been enjoying more meals than ever at home with the family, while others find themselves dining alone or without extended family due to social distancing.
No matter what 2020 has meant for your dinner table, there are simple ways to get the most out of family meals:
- Take advantage of this opportunity. Pile on the fruits & veggies, knowing that the more often you share meals together, the more fruits & veggies will get eaten.
- Gather virtually. If you find yourself temporarily separated from your normal group, try having a virtual dinner once a week. No one said you need to be in the same room to enjoy the benefits of a shared meal!
- Pause. Whether gathered physically together or virtually, take a moment before you eat to appreciate the chance to be together, whatever that happens to look like.
The food, the health, the happy: all improve in the company of others; all are better together!