Safety Remains Our Top Priority
Amid the ongoing health pandemic, this holiday season will be unlike any other. While many are considering new, safe ways to celebrate the season with friends and family, at Wegmans, we’re focused on keeping our employees and customers safe during this busy time of year at our stores.
Safety in our Stores
Since the start of the pandemic, we’ve taken extra steps to ensure our facilities and stores remain a safe place to work and shop. During the last eight months, we’ve learned a lot about what works and what doesn’t. You will continue to see many of the safety measures we rolled out in the spring, as well as some new ones. We:
- Continue to have dedicated cleaning teams. These teams are responsible for the increased sanitation of high-contact touchpoints throughout store, as well as increased frequency of our everyday sanitation practices. Shopping carts are also sanitized regularly throughout the day.
- Operate our stores well below capacity limits. During peak shopping hours, our store teams will use people counters to ensure we stay within the lowered capacity limits. Additionally, store leaders are encouraged to close the doors and control the flow of people into the store if needed.
- Have limited seating in our Market Café areas (where seating is allowed).
- Offer additional hand sanitizer stations throughout the store and at each register.
- Require cashiers to clean and sanitize their register belt and station at least once an hour, as well as take a hand-wash break every 30 minutes.
- Encourage social distancing through visual indicators placed on the floor throughout the store.
- Use plexiglass shields at service areas and counters throughout the store.
- Require all employees to complete a wellness check before the start of each shift.
- Will install live outdoor cameras at our highest-traffic stores, so customers can go online and see how busy the store is.
Require customers and employees to wear a face covering while in our stores in accordance with applicable local or state mandates.
In addition to the safety measures we’re taking in our stores, customers who prefer a contactless way to shop can now take advantage of our new Wegmans SCAN App, which allows customers to scan and bag their groceries as they shop. When shopping’s complete, simply go to the self-checkout register, scan the on-screen barcode to bring up your order, pay, and you’re on your way.
Pickup and Delivery for Groceries and Meals
If you prefer to shop for groceries from the safety of your home, simply shop with us at Wegmans.com or on our Wegmans app. All our stores offer online ordering with the option of picking your groceries up curbside or having them delivered to your door. We encourage customers to continue taking advantage of these services during the holiday season. As more customers turned to online grocery shopping during the pandemic, we rolled out a new program with Instacart that has Wegmans employees shopping customers’ curbside orders using Instacart’s technology. Instacart shoppers continue to shop delivery orders. This program allows for more customer orders to be fulfilled on any given day. First time ordering online? Learn how.
With Wegmans Meals 2Go, customers can order delicious meals like fresh subs, pizza, sushi and more for carryout, curbside pickup, or contactless delivery. This holiday, we’re also excited to offer customers a new and improved online ordering experience through Wegmans.com/catering2go or on the Meals 2GO app. A menu of holiday appetizers, sides, and desserts, as well as complete dinners, like our delicious Hand-Carved Turkey Dinner, are now available for pre‑order. Holiday dinners are available for Carryout only. Everyday catering favorites like chicken French, veggie trays, sub trays, and more are also available.
Tips for Customers
We encourage customers to keep the following tips in mind as they start to plan for their holiday celebrations:
- Plan ahead. The 2-3 days leading up to a holiday tend to be the busiest in our stores. Break your holiday shopping into two trips – one well in advance for your pantry staples, and the other closer to the holiday for your fresh items.
- Shop alone or in small groups. As we stay committed to running our stores well below capacity limits, we encourage our customers to shop alone or in small groups whenever possible. This makes it easier for customers to social distance in the store, while also allowing us to minimize the need for us to control the flow of customers in the store.
- Place online orders in advance. Online grocery orders through Wegmans.com or the Wegmans app can be placed up to seven days in advance.
- Order Holiday meals early. The deadline to place Christmas orders is 4 p.m. on Monday, December 21 (while supplies last). Please allow 24 hours for all holiday catering orders.
Christmas and New Year’s Store Hours
To give our employees an opportunity to celebrate the Christmas holiday, our stores will close at 6 p.m. on Thursday, December 24, and reopen on Saturday, December 26, at 6 a.m., with the exception of our Brooklyn and Massachusetts stores, which will reopen at 7 a.m.
For the New Year’s holiday, our stores will close at 8 p.m. on Thursday, December 31, and reopen on Friday, January 1, at 6 a.m., with the exception of our Brooklyn and Massachusetts stores, which will reopen at 7 a.m.