For everyone who loves the tenderness and deep, rich flavors of slow-cooked dishes, there’s good news from Wegmans Food Markets: a new way for families to enjoy easy meals faster than ever before. All Wegmans stores are introducing a line of 11 Ready-to-Cook E-Z Oven Package entrees developed by Wegmans chefs. Each fresh-made entrée is vacuum-packed, ready for the oven or slow-cooker, with no prep before cooking and minimal cleanup afterward. Not only does the vacuum packaging eliminate prep work, but it also preserves flavors and speeds up conventional cooking times.
Wegmans is the first grocery store chain to offer signature chef-developed recipes in this type of packaging, which is made without added Bisphenol A (BPA) and has been extensively tested for safe direct contact with food by the FDA and two universities with packaging studies programs.
These meals are perfect for trying in September, National Family Meals Month™. Numerous studies underscore the long-term health, academic and societal benefits of consistently eating together as a family, yet, according to a 2013 Harris poll, only 30 percent of American families share dinner every night. In addition, recent research proves that people who frequently cook at home eat fewer, healthier calories.1
The new E-Z Oven Package entrées from Wegmans offer families real help in eliminating the fuss of preparing a great-tasting meal, so that the focus at mealtime becomes sharing the experience of eating together.
Here are the new vacuum-packed dishes:
- Chicken Cacciatore (Great for 4)
- Rosemary Lemon Chicken (Great for 5)
- Memphis BBQ Split Chicken (Great for 3)
- Brown Sugar BBQ Chicken (Great for 5)
- Jerk Split Chicken (Great for 3)
- Brown Sugar BBQ Pork (Great for 6)
- Jerk Pork Ribs (Great for 2)
- Pork with Salsa Verde (Great for 5)
- Memphis BBQ Pork Ribs (Great for 2)
- Asian BBQ Beef Short Ribs (Great for 2)
- Beef & Mushroom in Red Chile Sauce (Great for 5)
Packages are priced from $9 to $16, depending on size, complexity of sauces and the kind of protein used. The cost per serving ranges from about $3 to $5.
“Lots of testing went into this new line of entrées, and we think our customers will really like what we’ve done here,” said Dan Mezzoprete, category merchant at Wegmans. “People today are more time-starved than ever, yet they still want great-tasting meals, and want to have a role in preparing dinner. These E-Z Oven Package entrées make those wishes easy to fulfill. They deliver fresh-tasting meals that are incredibly tender and delicious, and the cooking is nearly effortless.”
The E-Z Oven Package holding the entrée deserves a round of applause for making these dishes so easy and consistent:
- Entrées stay fresh up to two weeks in the refrigerator without artificial preservatives, allowing for more menu-planning flexibility. Or, freeze the entrées without double-wrapping -- there’s no freezer burn.
- Self-browning: No need to cut slits in the film. When cooked in the oven, it vents open toward the end of cooking to allow for some browning. The vacuum seal protects flavors during cooking, and speeds cooking. Flavors are intense, without the need to add extra artificial ingredients.
- Minimal prep and cleanup: the entrée is ready to place in a baking pan for the oven or in a slow-cooker with no prep needed and no need to touch the protein.
The fall 2016 issue of Wegmans Menu magazine features more information on these new entrees, plus ideas for side dishes that can be paired with the entrées, for meals under 700 calories. And for those who’d like to make these entrées from scratch, recipes are included.