WHO: Wegmans customers and members of the media are invited
WHEN: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, April 26, 2014
WHERE: All Wegmans Food Market locations
WHAT: Celebrate Wegmans Organic, an Earth Day-inspired event with balloons, coupons, activities for kids, and passports to guide customers toward tasting and cooking demo stations. All around the store, Wegmans people will be talking with customers about the company’s Organic Farm, local sourcing, and Reduce, Reuse and Recycling efforts. Wegmans proudly offers more than 3,000 organic choices.
Near the store entrance, customers are greeted with organic pink lemonade and can enter a drawing to win a gift bag filled with organic products. The first 300 customers at each store to bring in a bundle of clean and dry plastic bags during the event will receive a coupon for a free reusable bag. Plastic bags are accepted for recycling every day at Wegmans, and throughout April customers are helping to increase Wegmans’ contribution to The Nature Conservancy by bringing back their bags. Wegmans’ aim is to collect more than 177,000 pounds of plastic bags.
For kids, there are temporary tattoos and an activity sheet. They can visit the gardening station in General Merchandise to plant an organic seed to take home and watch it grow.
Samples are offered in a variety of departments. To name a few:
- Pan-seared organic kale with red thai curry sauce in Produce
- Organic vegetable barley soup in Prepared Foods
- Beemster organic gouda paired with organic multigrain baguette in the Bakery
- Canadian-certified organic mussels from Canada in Seafood
- Organic frozen fruit paired with organic waffles in Frozen Foods
- Organic strawberry banana smoothies made with the Ninja blender in Produce
For more information on Wegmans’ sustainability practices, look for the “About Us” section at the bottom of wegmans.com, and click on the sustainability link.